Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Meeting My Daughter

Isabella Ray Marie
Saturday 11-24-12 at 11:09pm
7lbs 2oz and 21 inches

I woke up Saturday morning and got out of bed and noticed I was leaking some. I called the on call doctor and they said for me to come in and be checked just in case. So we packed stuff in the car, and I didn't expect for them to tell me much besides probably that it was just normal leaking.

We got to the hospital and they admitted me at 11am because my water was in fact leaking a little bit! I was 2cm and 60% effaced and baby was at a -1 station. When the on call OBGYN said that we could start pitocin to get things going for me, I was really excited!!!! They started it around 2:30pm and turned up the dose every half hour. At around 6pm I felt this painful and weird "pop" in my lower abdomen, and about two minutes later had the huge gush! My water had broke!!! It's too strange of a feeling to be able to describe, but I felt like a shamed child peeing their pants; and what was worse is that it didn't stop!!! Literally two contractions later and I was in immense pain; I decided then that I wanted to get the epidural because I couldn't just breathe through them like I had hoped I'd be able to.
By 7:15pm I had the epidural, but it wasn't working in one certain spot on my right side, so they came and adjusted it and I was feeling great! At 8:30pm the epidural stopped working, so the anesthesiologist came and adjusted it in my back again and I started feeling better. By 10pm it stopped working and they couldn't get it to work again and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working the way it was supposed to. My legs were numb, but I could feel everything else. Around 10:45pm my body started shutting down and I could no longer even squeeze my husband's hand to help through contractions and I started to pass out from them. It was decided then that I needed a cesarean, so the nurses started getting everything prepped. Because the epidural wasn't working and because I was starting to loose consciousness, they had to put me completely under.
I remember getting wheeled into the OR and getting prepped, and then of course waking up. Alex said they wheeled me out of the room at 11pm and Isabella was born at 11:09pm! It was really fast!!! I finally got to meet my daughter (who I didn't know the gender of yet) at 1:30am and it was the most beautiful moment of my life! Seeing her here perfect and healthy makes everything worthwhile and I wouldn't change it for anything!!!


  1. Congrats on your daughter.You have wait so long to meet her. Enjoy every moment because they pass so quickly.

  2. Wow, sucks the epidural didn't work but I'm glad they took care of "barely conscious" you and more importantly that got to meet your DAUGHTER!

    She is super cute!
    Love her name too, beautiful ;)