Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bittersweet Weekend

Friday Alex and I headed to Milwaukee to meet my fantastic friend Jen Bear! :-) We had a fun night talking until 2am. Then we went to the Milwaukee County Zoo on Saturday morning. Then after the zoo, Alex and I stopped at my grandparent's house on the way back home. We visited Grandpa for a long time and even brought him a piece of German Chocolate cake. Sadly, he has no appetite.. All he has been surviving on for two weeks is the ensure drink. :-( We ended up staying the night at their house and went back this morning to visit him again. We stayed for a little while before we had to head home. When we were leaving, he gave us the most forlorn, sad look, and it literally broke my heart :'-( I cried for a good half hour after we left. This is so hard... He is being transferred from the hospital to an assisted living home tomorrow where they are just going to keep him comfortable. He has an aggressive form of cancer that is not only on his liver, but also his pancreas, kidney and it is also in his lymph nodes. Even if they removed the large mass on his liver (which I think they should do anyway because it will release pressure on his guts and he will want to eat again), there is nothing they can do. The doctors say optimistically, he has a year, but I think that is pretty farfetched. I think more realistically, he has maybe three months.... It is very hard because Grandma is giving a ton of stuff away at the house. She keeps telling us if there is something we want, just ask, and we can most likely have it. I just feel so bad. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.....

No comments:

Post a Comment